Before golf became a professional sport in the United States, Castine residents would hit their balls at Fort George and in nearby pastures.
A rough, nine-hole course, the Madockawando Golf Links, served the purpose beginning in 1897. The desire for a formal golf club and course grew as the number of summer visitors increased. The Curtis Stevens House, at the top of Main Street and near Fort George, was purchased in 1916 to serve as the clubhouse. The Castine Golf Club was officially incorporated in 1919.
World-renowned Scottish designer and Castine visitor Willie Park, Jr. designed Castine’s nine-hole, par thirty-five golf course in 1922. Parks, a two-time British Open champion, considered the course to be one of his finest designs. The club offers two other sporting programs: tennis on four Har-tru clay courts and sailing at the Yacht Club. For decades, a busy schedule of golf, tennis, and sailing lessons for youth has been available for residents and visitors throughout the summer months.
For more information, please visit the Castine Golf Club website: https://www.castinegolfclub.com